Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Shirley Temple and my impending novel


Well, I really did it this time. I cut my child's hair, and now she looks like Shirley Temple. And I can't cut curly hair worth crap. This is real honest to goodness truth. So Bella may be paying a visit to Kid's Snips or whatever this weekend to clean up mom's dingbat job...wow.
She LIKES it though, she is so proud of her haircut. I feel horrible. I am afraid to touch it up, thinking that I'll start cutting this and that and then all of a sudden she'll be freaking BALD. So I must resist the urge to fix this. Lord help me.

On to better news. I think. I have officially signed on to write a 50,000 word, yes, fifty THOUSAND word novel by the end of November. It is part of National Novel Writing Month. I have a friend at work who sent me the idea and has been tormenting me on the whys of why I should participate. Then some friends from across the state and country have been giving me the DO it notices on Facebook. So I decided to do it. It will take ALOT of time, but I really want to do it and if I do, it is only for me, but I will feel like I accomplished something big.

I have already started writing a story I got from a dream, but I am not going to use that. I am going to start fresh with an idea I pondered about a week ago when workfriend decided to start telling me about nanowrimo.org.

So I have AN idea. And I think it will work. I am nervous that I will not make the 200 pages it will take to get the 50K words, but my friend out in Connecticut assures me this is for quantity NOT quality; which workfriend also tried explaining to me in other words. So I feel a little better since workfriend has actually won writing contests and almost made a movie (FOR REAL) from one of his screenplays. And CT friend is an avid writer and critic. So with these two in my corner I feel a little better.

Hubby says it is ALL me since he has too much on his plate with school to think about participating. And so I dragged another work BFF in this and she is going to do it too. I have threatened, or vowed to bring my laptop with me everyday to work so I can take lunch and write over lunch, and then I'll write during Bella's shows, and on the weekends. I'll probably have to force myself to stay up late friday nights too so I can finish.

The rules are to not start till 12:01 am on November 1st and then submit by November 30th. So please wish me luck, and if you don't hear from me till December, you know why.

PS, please say a prayer for Bella's hair. Thanks.

1 comment:

michschu said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do it!!